Khatib & Alami Unveils Wayfinding Tech for Special Olympics 2019
Mar 17 2019
The construction consultancy has developed GIS-based systems to support navigation and visitor experience at the event.
Construction consultancy Khatib & Alami (K&A) has helped develop geographic information system-based (GIS) wayfinding tools to support navigation at the Special Olympics World Games 2019 being held at Abu Dhabi's Zayed Sports City Stadium.
K&A’s wayfinding tools, which include indoor navigation, augmented reality, and chatbot features, have been incorporated into the World Games App.
Visitors can search for or view information about the venue, event timings, and activity schedules using the app, as well as through K&A technology that is being deployed for wayfinding kiosks.
Through the tools’ “story-telling feature”, visitors can record trip routes, save memories of the games, and share their experiences with friends through their social media accounts.
Manal Sayed, senior director of K&A’s geospatial systems integration team, said the smart tools that have been developed for the Special Olympics World Games 2019 showcase “some of the latest wayfinding technologies” available in the market.
Commenting on the inclusion of wayfinding tools at the world games, Dr Najib Khatib, chairman and CEO of K&A, said: “The key to the success of any smart technology is that it should be easily accessible and user-friendly – these are the measures that our experts are applying to ensure that the tools we’re providing add to the experience of everyone at the event, whether they are participants, organisers, or spectators.”
“The games are bringing together thousands of people from across the world, so it provides an exciting opportunity to draw on the full potential of smart wayfinding technologies to help people get the most out of their visit, both at the event and elsewhere in Abu Dhabi.”
Earlier this month, the UAE’s Ministry of Climate Change and Environment signed an agreement with the Higher Committee of the Special Olympics to equipoise the carbon footprint at Special Olympics World Games Abu Dhabi 2019, in line with targets set by UAE’s Supreme Council of Energy in June 2018 to cut 11 million tonnes of local carbon emissions by 2021.
Launching Beirut Souks Application
Feb 02 2018
The mobile application provides users with access to interactive maps that enable real-time navigation with no need for internet connection. Moreover, the mobile application has features that enable targeted location-based offers and provides analytics about mobile app users and their behavior. The mobile application can be used with different operating systems including iOS and Android.
- Search for stores, promotions, attractions, activities and deals.
- Log in through a guest account, an email and password or social media (Facebook account).
- Receive notifications on the preferred items and stores.
- Display upcoming events, services and other businesses.
- 3D Map display.
- Enabled routing function where the user will be prompted to enter the to/from location.
- Provide a platform and space for advertisements and promotions.
- Integration with indoor tracking systems to enable navigation with no GPS signal.
- Provide feedback to mall management
- Display services such as WiFi Zone, Wheel Chair, Valet Parking, Taxi and ATMs.
- Take a photo of your car, or save a voice note, or even write a note to save your car location.
- Send notifications based on the proximity of zones (discounted items, sales information…).
- Integration with other applications like loyalty card programs.